- Follow Stern Productions on WordPress.com
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Cannot load blog information at this time.
- The Difference Between Guns in Movies and Guns in Real LifeExplore the many ways Hollywood takes creative license when depicting guns in movies. John McClane, the Terminator, even Neo, they all have one thing in common—they look really badass shooting guns. Here's the thing though, in real life, the feats they perform, from shooting two micro uzis at the same time to blasting away a bad guy with a Beretta six i […]
- The Doorstop, One Essential Piece of Gear You Don't Have in Your Gear BagThese things come in handy more often than you might think. Despite the fact that filmmaking is one of the most technologically advanced art forms, there are lots of little problems that remain without solutions. Take for instance leveling and stabilization—sure, there are plenty of tools out there that will help you level your camera and make it steady, but […]
- 4 Lighting Tips for Shooting Beautiful Black and WhiteIf you're going to be shooting in black and white, understand that the rules for lighting are a little different. Black and white photography can be absolutely beautiful, because it utilizes the essential elements of early cinema, like shadow, texture, and intensity. However, if you're heading out to light a black and white project with the same pr […]
- Creative Camera Moves and Transitions You Can Use on Your Next Music VideoLearn how to use camera work and shot transitions to make a creative, high-energy music video. Music videos are a filmmaker's best friend— or at least they should be. They typically require less time and money to make and, most importantly, give us a chance to experiment with ideas and explore our creativity. If you've got an interesting vision for […]
- A 'Creed' Sequel, Robert Zemeckis, Tyler Perry, & More Trailers You May Have MissedStaying on top of the trailer circuit is a full-time job in and of itself. We're here to help. A mix of films opening this Summer and Fall make up the below crop of previews for this week's Trailer Watch, including Sundance hits, Netflix comedies, anticipated sequels, and the return of filmmakers Tyler Perry and Robert Zemeckis. While no documentar […]
- 'Eating Animals': Why Director Christopher Quinn Approaches Doc Filmmaking as a Living ProcessChristopher Quinn built the narrative of the Natalie Portman-produced documentary over five years. Outside of learning about the changes that the rise of factory farming has caused in the food industry, and finding out about the plight of independent farmers in the wake of those changes, one could learn a lot about filmmaking by watching Christopher Quinn […]
- 5 Tips on How a Filmmaker Can Use Social Media EffectivelySocial media isn't just for promotion. It's a way to connect with fellow filmmakers and potential collaborators. If you're someone involved or even interested in the arts, there's a good chance you're active on social media. Why shouldn't you be? When it comes to the filmmaking community, the ways you can engage are endless. Whe […]
- I Made a Short With Werner Herzog at Age 17—Here’s What He Taught MeThe youngest participant of Werner Herzog’s filmmaking workshop in Cuba shares his time working with a master. Last year, I was selected as one of 55 participants from around the world to Black Factory Cinema’s workshop with Werner Herzog in Cuba at the Escuela International de Cine. I had applied with very low expectations of being accepted as I was only 17 […]
- Let's Get Trashed! 8 Camera Hacks You Can Do with a Garbage BagThought those white trash bags were only good for throwing away your hopes, dreams, and Ramen wrappers? Think. Again. Who loves filmmaking hacks? Everyone and their Aunt Linda whose Facebook statuses are almost always intended to be Google searches (true story...learn Facebook, Auntie!). This one that comes from Dave Knop (a.k.a. knoptop) is a real winner be […]
- Essential Stuff You Might Want to Keep in Your Traveling Camera BagLeaving on a jet plane for a shoot? Don't forget to pack these essentials. Traveling is stressful enough without the added burden of having to load up all of your necessary gear for a shoot. You take off without your sunscreen, whatever, you buy more at the store across from your hotel, but if you take off without your portable LED light, clamps, or bal […]
- The Difference Between Guns in Movies and Guns in Real Life